© 2015 Canal Companies. All rights reserved. This material may not be reproduced, displayed, modified or distributed without the express prior written permission of the copyright holder.
"From Louisiana For Louisiana"
Canal works in a range of industries to provide advanced technology solutions
• Canal Advanced filtration, separation, and contaminate reduction solutions
Canal delivers advanced filtration and separation solutions for a wide range of industries. The Poseidon fluid/solids separation system represents a breakthrough technology in the separation of sub-micron impurities and particles from liquid streams.
Our patented Canal Poseidon and Reactor technology provides the only continuously operating, self-cleaning filtration and separation system in the world.
By eliminating fiber and cartridge type filters, biological and chemical additives, and mechanical backwashing, unnecessary down time and disposal costs are significantly reduced.
Unlike existing filtration and separation systems, Canal designs each system to account for the variances in physical properties of the targeted liquid, including viscosity, consistency, size, quantity and specific gravity of the contaminates.
The Poseidon filter has been successfully tested in numerous applications for a multitude of contaminates in varying amounts. Because the nature and amount of contaminates varies depending upon location and use, the Poseidon system is designed to be easily adaptable to multistage operations. The system can be scaled up to any size application.
Canal as well has access to other technologies that remove additional heavy metals, solids and other unwanted materials from crude oil or water streams.
Benefits of the Canal Systems
• No chemicals
• No filter cartridges
• No contaminated filter media
• Continuous self-cleaning
• manual cleaning
• Variable flow rates
• Uninterrupted flow
• Real-time data monitoring
• Low power requirements per volume flow
• Minimal maintenance requirements
• Small footprint and compact size
• Ultra-filtration capabilities as low as 1 micron
There are many filtration and separation systems that are marketed as self-cleaning. However, these self-cleaning systems typically require the filter devices to be bypassed and back-flushed in a cleaning cycle.
What differentiates the Canal Poseidon system from other technology is the ability to maintain a continuous filtration and separation flow without manual intervention by the operator. Other self-cleaning systems typically do not adequately control the discharge or outlet of contaminates. The results achieved by these systems do not approach the filtration and separation levels achieved using the Poseidon system.
Current filtration systems and processes rely on disposable filter elements such as filter bags, cartridges and spiral wound elements. These approaches require consumable items, additional labor and the associated costs.
When hazardous materials are filtered, the handling and disposal cost of bulky filter elements and the high quantity of sludge generated creates substantial long term legal liability issues. These costs are eliminated with the Poseidon system because the filter element is maintained in a continuously clean state and does not require replacement due to clogging or foreign substances.
Nominal vs. Absolute Filtration
Conventional filter media has pore sizes far larger than the advertised nominal filtration rating. The nominal filtration rating is achieved only after the larger pores are filled up and blocked by contaminates - a caking effect. Though this does reduce the average pore size required to achieve a nominal rating, the caking dramatically reduces the effective filter surface area and filter flow rate.
In contrast, upon starting the Poseidon filter, the rated pore size is instantly achieved because the filter-media does not have pores larger than the rated micron level. When in use, the system's unique backwashing component maintains nearly one hundred percent of the filter surface. This insures the rated flow and Filtration levels will be maintained throughout the process without clogging, loss of efficiency, or forcing downstream processes to compensate for a declining outlet pressure or flow rate
Primary applications for the Canal Systems include:
• Crude oil contaminate reduction, or elimination
• Water treatment, Industrial waste water, Fracking flow back
• Animal waste treating
• Mining product recovery
Additional identified applications with our Technology:
• Advanced Oil / Water separation
• Environmental reclamation
• Industrial waste stream treatment
• Fracking flow back treatment
• Waste / slop oil recycling
• Metal cutting and coolant operations
• Diesel de-carbonization and de-watering
• Influent water / solids removal without
• chemical flocculants
• Cooling tower TSS removal on a continuous
• Refinery and chemical plants Oil separation / emulsion
• breaking BTEX organic removal Mechanical biological treatment
• Emulsion treatment
• Effluent BOD, COS and ammonia treatment
• API separator replacement
• Amine reclamation
• Glycol separation
• Methanol reduction
• Catalyst reclamation
• Gas dehydration
• Inline desulphurization
• Drilling and completion fluid cleaning
• Dust removal systems
• Sludge or biox volume reduction
• Metals purification
• Product clarification and de-colorization
• Heavy metals removal
Crude Oil Contaminate Reduction
Canal has developed a revolutionary sulfur reduction technology. Light, intermediate and heavy crude oil can be treated with a Sulfur Reduction Device (SRD) to reduce sulfur, heavy metals, sediment, salt and other impurities which exist in the crude stream
Reduction of sulfur
Reduction of heavy metals
Reduction of sediment
Reduction of salt
Continuous operation with no interruption of flow
Reduction of refining cost
Increased value of crude
Reduction of maintenance costs
Reduction of disposal costs
Elimination of chemical treatments
Oil / Water contamination reduction or elimination
The process can be used to treat the entire stream or individual aspects of the stream.
Processing rates of crude oil and refined product will vary upon the type of stream.
Crude Oil Desulphurization Process
1. Crude oil is pumped from the supply pipe into the SRD and then directed into the Mix Tank in the center of the installed system. The SRD is proprietary technology.
2. Depending on the application and fluid being treated Clean water from the water tank is pumped through the WID where it is ionized and then directed into the Mix Tank. The volume of oil, as with the water, is controlled depending on the grade of contamination.
3. The oil/water mixture is then pumped through the magnetron into the Oil/Water Segment of the system. Particulate matter, heavy metals and transformed sulfur will be reduced by more than 70% - this material is sent to the Reject Tank where it settles and will be removed periodically depending on the concentration of the contaminates.
4. The oil that has passed through the filter media is directed into the Separation Tank where the water quickly settles out. In the final step, the clean oil is pumped to the Sales Tank.
Crude Oil Desulphurization Segments
Desulphurization Sample Test Results
Mayan crude from PEMEX at Dos Bocas, Tabasco
42% to 63% reduction of sulfur
92% reduction of salts
40% to 60% reduction of heavy metals
1.4 % Change in gravity
Poseidon crude from Plains Marketing at Venice, Louisiana
71% reduction of sulfur
93% reduction of salts
40% to 60% reduction of heavy metals
1.0 % Change in gravity
In addition to the foregoing benefits the technology causes the complete separation of oil and water, reduces the BS&W, and eliminates all bacteria, viruses, and cysts in the treated stream.
Crude Oil Filtration & Treating
The process can treat small or large volumes
The process does not generate any molecular change in the oil
The process generates a cleaner blend stock or feed stock and reduces the cost of chemicals and corrosion
Crude may be treated using a fixed or mobile system
The process increases the value of the barrel as applied in direct sales or blending
The process can treat refined products
2111 Evangeline Road
Evangeline, Louisiana 70537
(337) 824-2500 Tel (337) 824-2565 Fax
Canal Technologies, Bringing New Ideas To Life!